Monday, February 21, 2011

Encinitas 101 Banner


I just finished the banner that I am turning in to DEMA to be hung along the Cst Hwy 101 in downtown Encinitas...I wasn't sure what to do and wanted to make something that was in keeping with the style I've been working in. This is what I came up with....pretty girl with some tattoos. :) If you look, the tattoos are Encinitas-based. An "Encinitas" tat across her back and a Hwy 101 tat on her arm. I called it "How much do YOU love Encinitas?" Cheesy, I know, but it was fun. I drew on it too, instead of painting. I just used charcoal and some serious latex finishing sealant. We'll see if it holds up to the weather!!

Every year, dozens of artists complete these banners to spruce up our streets! There is even an auction at the end, when the banners come down. It's called the Arts Alive Banner Project, and was originally started here. Since then, towns across the country have picked up the idea, and you can see banners everywhere. People can bid on and purchase these original pieces of art and all proceeds go to help Encinitas.

If you'd like more information, you can visit their website:
http://www.encinitas101.com/events/arts-alive-banner-project/

No comments:

Post a Comment