Tuesday, November 30, 2010
So, "what the heck??", you may be asking. What have you been DOING while you are in school..you only posted 2 pieces? Well, I have spent the last 3 weeks learning how to make panels. It's really expensive to buy them, and art stores don't even make them as big as I want, so I've had the input of like 20 people and have been through some serious experimentation to figure this stuff out. I have done it about 4 or 5 different ways as of now, and I THINK that I've got it. I'm trying different surfaces (spatula-ed gesso, sprayed- on gesso, paper on the board, etc) and different supports, and have had some serious I-wanna-punch-the-wall moments, but all in all, I think that this is good for me as a student who, as an ARTIST, needs to be making her own stuff! Plus, it saves LOTS o' money :)
Here is a different piece that I have been working on for a while now...it just hasn't been happening for me, so I am trying layering up a bunch of figures to confuse the positive/negative space and to get some of the darks from the different figures to blend together. It's still reaaalllly unfinished. I need to get much darker, and the far right figure is literally just started....she's lookin' like she had a little plastic surgery so I need to fix that face! There may even be another figure, or parts of, in the empty spaces too. (it's not that yellow either haha)
So, the last posting didn't work so well...the picture would NOT turn right-side-up no matter what I did. So I retook it and am trying to repost it now.
Ok, so here is a piece that I guess is pretty much done....for now. :) I used water-soluble graphite on a panel. I'm happy with it - I experimented beyond my comfort zone, so that's good. The nice things happening in the hair/shoulder area would never have been done by me on purpose, so the use of water really helped me to take more risks and let things happen on their own.