Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Obstacle Course

I've been perusing friends' blogs, and Amber George perfectly stated the biggest thing that I am running into right now - obstacles to creativity. Now, I'm not saying that there are things happening that are totally keeping me from being creative or making art; sometimes, these are self-imposed things, like when I just can't seem to get myself into the studio to work.

In just getting back from a long trip to Mexico, I have found that there are lots of little things right now that seem to NEED to get done, just for my peace of mind. I'm sure that these things can wait, but it sure doesn't feel that way! I do this allll the time, and am very respectful and admiring of other friends who seem to put themselves to work and use their time wisely. Now, what's my problem? Why can I seem to find a million other things to do BESIDES work on art?

The hardest thing for me is STARTING something. Once it's going, the excitement sets in and I am happy to get to it as much as I can. But right now, with a blank slate looking at me it's the most daunting thing ever. I make excuses, like "I'm just not inspired right now" but we all know that if I just started then I'd get into the groove of it, it would start to happen more often, and I'd be over this hump.
Frustrating. I think grad school is going to kick my arse.

No comments:

Post a Comment