Sunday, October 30, 2011

First finished pieces of the semester....




Hi all!

So, here are the two pieces I posted previously.....done! They were for the Mythology/Narrative class that I have with artist F. Scott Hess. The first one is from the model pose we had in class. I think I explained this before, but I ended up drawing the female model over and over, and really liked it. I just wasn't sure what to do with the empty space. Then I had an epiphany - mirrors! Or darkened windows...same thing :) It reflects the figure, making the identity and reality of the figures (who is who, which is real and which is a reflection) even more confusing, which I also really liked. I'm also proud of myself - this is CHARCOAL (not pencil!!) and has more value range than anything I've done in a whiilllle. Go me! haha!

The second one is my dearest - as done as it can get for now. I may still work on it more in a while, but it needs to go out of my head for the time being. I have some serious thesis work to get to! I darkened him up a LOOOT (with charcoal and conte) and like the diagonal composition...but it still feels like it's missing a little sumpin sumpin.

Ok - on to the thesis pieces. The 3rd image is a fast sketch of the 1st thesis piece that I am going to be working on. I'll elaborate on the idea more later...it's about visual identity - what we convey about ourselves to others vs. what they perceive about us - all based on outer appearances. I"m liking the symmetry and how each image reflects the other. And it looks like a Rorschach inkblot test - another way of learning about your personality.

More to come.....

XOXOXO

No comments:

Post a Comment